Food Service

Food establishments and vending locations, which dispense food and drinks to the public, are routinely inspected. Food service operators and food service personnel are consulted on the safe handling and preparation of food. Education of the food service operator on the proper methods of safe food handling is a vital function of the Environmental Health Division. The Sanitarian reviews and approves proposed new and remodeled food service facilities and approves food service licenses. The Grand Traverse County Health Department also investigates instances of possible foodborne illness in conjunction with the Michigan Department of Agriculture. (Authority: Act No. 92 of P.A. 2000.)

ServSafe Certification

The Grand Traverse County Health Department sponsors several ServSafe© food service sanitation courses for food service owners, operators, managers and supervisors throughout the year.  The primary focus of this training is to raise awareness of the importance of food safety and to make food safety training and education as accessible as possible. 

 We currently do not have any upcoming ServSafe classes or Testing.  Please check back after the first of the year to see added 2023 opportunities.

For other ServSafe opportunities, check out the Michigan Restaurant Association.

Food Service News

2022 Food Service Newsletter

ServSafe logo

Plan Review Resource 

Please consult the Plan Review Instructions prior to submission. All applications must be complete and must include Application, Worksheet, SOP's, Menu, Layout, and Plan Review Fee. You may submit your own SOP's or use the packet attached. If you have any questions on what information needs to be supplied, please contact the office.

Fillable versions can be found on the State's website here.

The STFU Plan Review packet is for mobile units including Food Trucks. To qualify for an STFU license, you must be a resident of Grand Traverse County and all operations must take place on the unit unless you are also applying for a commissary license.

If you have any questions as to which packet you may need, please contact our office.

Food Service Forms