Do I have to pay child support after my child reaches 18?
In Michigan, child support continues past the age of 18 if certain conditions are met. Support may continue up to age 19.5 if the child is "regularly attending high school on a full-time basis with a reasonable expectation of completing sufficient credits to graduate from high school while residing on a full-time basis with the payee of support or at an institution."

This means that current child support charges will continue until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, not to exceed 19.5 years of age.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get my support order modified?
2. If I have been paying my child support and the custodial parent is not allowing parenting time as stated in my court order, do I have to keep paying support?
3. The non-custodial parent is not making regular child support payments, do I have to allow him/her to have parenting time?
4. I paid my child support directly to my co-parent, can I get credit?
5. We both want to pay direct, can we do so?
6. Do I have to pay child support after my child reaches 18?
7. If I am receiving public assistance, do I still get child support?
8. Is the Friend of the Court responsible for making sure that child support money is being spent on the children?
9. I am in jail without work release, do I have to pay child support?
10. How do I get an Income Withholding Order started to have the child support taken from my pay?